expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, August 19, 2013

Vocabulary #1

adumbrate: report or represent in outline.
I had an adumbrate about Shakespeare in English today.  

apotheosis:  the glorification of a subject to divine level 
God is apotheosis in many religions around the world. 

ascetic: practicing strict self-denial as a measure of personal and especially spiritual discipline

Over time, ascetic person become mentally unstable over time.  

bauble: A small, showy ornament of little value

I got this bauble toy from the fair. 

beguile: Charm or enchant (someone), sometimes in a deceptive way

The beguile look in his eye gave me butterflies in my stomach. 

burgeon: Begin to grow or increase rapidly; flourish 

The plants we planted in biology burgeon rapidly. 

complement : Add to (something) in a way that enhances or improves it; make perfect
Everyone complemented on my new hairstyle. 

contumacious: Stubbornly or willfully disobedient to authority 
I contumaciously disobeyed my mother because she said I couldn't go to the concert. 

curmudgeon: a bad tempered person
My sister tends to be a curmudgeon brat when she doesn't have it her way. 

didactic:  intended to convey instruction and information as well as pleasure and entertainment 

My friend was being didactic when he talked about his disagreement with Rap music.

disingenuous: Not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

I think here you are being deliberately disingenuous; however, his other point is valid.

exculpate: Show or declare that (someone) is not guilty of wrongdoing

Often in court, lawyers exculpate victims that was blamed of crime.

faux pas: is a socially awkward or tactless act
I realized I'd committed a serious faux pas by joking about his wife's family.

fulminate: to explode with a loud noise, detonate 

The bomb fulminated during the Boston Marathon.  

fustian:  A coarse sturdy cloth made of cotton and flax.

My shirt made out of fustian lasted me a long time.

hauteur: haughty manner or spirit; arrogance

The sisters in Cinderella hauteur and treated Cinderella with disrespect. 

inhibit: Hinder, restrain, or prevent an action or process

I inhibited getting hit by a ball in golf by paying attention to my surroundings.

jeremiad: a long literary work, usually in prose. 

We wrote a jeremiad in class, similar to Homer's Odyessy. 

opportunist: One who takes advantage of any opportunity to achieve an end, often with no regard for principles or consequences

Some students are opportunist, they will cheat to get the grade they want. 

unconscionable: not right or reasonable 

It is unconscionable for someone to murder someone else, no matter what they have done to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment